Monday, December 3, 2007

the weekend.

Another wonderful weekend has come to an end and tomorrow morning I’ll return to the world of teaching English to snotty-nosed kindergarteners and overworked elementary students. I love my job, but I also love having a break from the routine of work and exploring the city with friends for a couple of days. It seems like every weekend in Korea brings something new. I couldn’t ask for a more fun place to live. I’ve decided that if you’re bored in Seoul it’s your own fault.

When I arrived here 3 months ago I was lucky enough to immediately have a network of westerners around me. At my school there are 18 foreign teachers from the United States and Canada, as well as dozens of amazing Korean teachers. I’ve loved getting to know so many new people and learning about their lives and experiences. In many ways I feel like I’ve found the best of both worlds…friends who understand my western culture along with Korean friends who can teach me about theirs. I’m so lucky.

As always, this weekend was so much fun. In the span of only 48 hours I had a massage with my friend Lisa, ate lunch and shopped with my favorite Korean girls, hung out in two of the cities most popular districts, Coex and Itaewon, played poker with friends from school (and lost all my money), went ice-skating at Jamsil, and went shopping at Techno Mart with Kenna. Every week I tell myself that the next weekend will be spent hibernating and relaxing in my apartment, and somehow Saturday and Sunday always end up being anything but restful. However, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love being busy and having so many great friends to hang out with. My life is fun.

And so another week begins…

No comments: