Monday, February 11, 2008

mom comes to seoul.

For the last 6 months I have been living in Korea all alone (with the exception of great friends) and have relied soley on over-the-phone descriptions to communicate my surroundings. However, last Monday my mom came to Seoul! It's hard to put the last week into words. Nothing I write down could do it justice. While she was here it was a whirlwind of hanging out, trying new food, shopping, exploring the city, touring palaces, etc. Wonderful. I think in the last week I have seen all of Seoul's "hot-spots" in a matter of days. It was so fun to hop on and off the subway, explore the area for a bit, and then head to a different district to do the same. Myeong-dong, Namdaemun, Dongdaemun, Techno Mart, Jamsil, Gyeongbok Palace, Insadong, Itaewon, Namsan Tower, etc....we've seen it all.

I think it's hard for people to really have an understanding and appreciation for a place they've never seen firsthand. More than anything I am excited that Korea will forever be a place that my mom has experienced for herself. When I talk about different areas of the city, or friends that I'm hanging out with, she will have a connection with these things in her mind. Having the opportunity to share my love of travel and the world with family is the greatest thing. I know its not always easy having a daughter or sister that lives on the other side of the world, but I am thankful for a family that supports and encourages my dreams. I must be the luckiest person on earth.

A few photos from this past week:

Photobucket
shopping in dongdaemun market.

Photobucket
eating 돼지갈비 at a little korean resturant near my apartment. so good.

Photobucket
self-portrait taken after a long bike ride through olympic park.

Photobucket
my mom standing in front of the namdaemun tower...which burned down the following day.

I am so thankful for my mom's visit to Korea! It was one of the best weeks I've had here so far.

2 comments:

brent said...

Great pictures! You're lucky you've gotten to see your parents overseas, that's awesome. Chad comes in a month, I'm stoked about that - time for Indonesia! It'll be cool to have my bro here for a month and a half. Hope things are going well in S. Korea, I miss you buddy!

Louise said...

Hi from one Korea blogger to another,

Fancy your Mum seeing the gate the day before it burned down!

At least she got to see it. My parents and sister are coming in April for my wedding but they will not get the opportunity to see it.

Glad to see that you are enjoying your time in Korea

Louise