Thursday, April 10, 2008

coffee shop thoughts.

I think it would be near impossible to find a day more beautiful than the one I find myself in now. This morning I woke up fairly early, hopped on my bike, and rode over to Olympic Park which is just minutes away from my apartment. I am sitting outside on the patio at The Coffee Bean overlooking a sparkling pond, blooming cherry blossom trees, and women and men exercising on the trails that are woven throughout the park. The sun is shinning and fluffy white clouds are set against a bright blue sky. It feels like one of those perfect days that you only see in movies. It's been so wonderful living in a place with distinct changes in the seasons. I loved feeling the air turn cool after a long, hot summer. Walking home from work with snowflakes falling down around me in the winter. And watching the trees and flowers come back to life this spring. I love the energy that comes with a change in the weather. Everything feels so alive right now.

I often wonder what I did to deserve so much happiness. Last night I was watching an episode of Oprah (no judgement, please) and dozens of women were talking about their struggle to feel content and satisfied with life. In some ways I couldn't even relate to them. I have truly found an unexplainable joy in living. This happiness has come through feeling loved by family and friends. Being brave enough to follow my dreams of living abroad. Helping beautiful Korean and Chinese children learn to speak a new language. Melting the stress of the day away with long runs on the treadmill. Riding my bike through Olympic Park on a spring morning. Laughing. Exploring new places. Developing an understanding of cultures different from my own. Taking photographs of some of the most beautiful sights in the world. And finding a few quiet moments each day to just be alone and think. I know that at 24 years old I have so much left to learn about life, but for now I am content.

Right now my mind is bringing back all of these perfect, peaceful moments that I have been blessed enough to enjoy. I can so vividly remember waking up in southern Thailand, eating banana pancakes for breakfast, and spending the entire day laying next to the ocean with the sun and cool air washing over me. I remember mornings spent at a street side cafe in Luang Prabang, Laos drinking a cup of sweetened iced coffee while monks dressed in bright orange robes walked down the street. I can almost taste the spicy Chinese noodles topped with fresh mushrooms and peppers that I ate at an outdoor restraunt in Lijiang. I can feel the cool mountain that blew through the park in Interlaken, Switzerland. These memories are only a few that flood my mind now. It's so hard to believe that it was really me in all of those moments. Not only has life taken me on incredible journeys around the world, but its also provided me with friendship along the way. People to enjoy the experiences alongside. I am blessed beyond anything I deserve.

One of my favorite songs begins with these words: "Life gets a little better. Life stays a little gray. Live it up. Live it long. You can always count on those unexpected moments when the pleasure just sweeps you away." I have truly been swept away.

A few photos of Olympic Park:

Photobucket
the view from where I sit now. journal, ipod, coffee...perfection.

Photobucket
a view of the olympic monument from the top of a hill.

Photobucket
one of many walking/biking trails in the park.

Photobucket
the olympic monument built for the '88 games.

Photobucket
flags from around the world.

No comments: