Sunday, April 27, 2008

the torch comes to seoul.

Today was a day I will never forget.

This afternoon I walked over to Olympic Park expecting to take a few photos of the Olympic torch as it moved through Seoul, and was instead bombarded with a display of Chinese nationalism unlike anything I've ever witnessed. Eager to capture history being made, I pulled out my camera and began taking photos of the thousands and thousands of Zhongguoren proudly holding their red and yellow communist flag. Nationalist chants could be heard from all directions as people shouted "One China! One dream!" and "Zhongguo, China!" hoping to drown out any resentment coming from the protesters. Students held handmade banners and posters that declared their love for China and their disdain for Western media. Along the edge of the park American, European and Korean activist denounced China's human rights record in Tibet and North Korea and stood carrying signs and wearing hats and shirts in protest. There was a frenzy of excitement and anticipation as media stations swarmed the park hoping to capture the events as they unfolded. I just couldn't believe I was in the middle of it all.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As the torch was making its way to Olympic Park tensions began to rise among the Chinese. If I learned anything about China while living there last year, it is that its people are fiercely devoted to their country and will do anything possible to defend it. Today was no exception. I found myself standing and talking with a man who works for a North Korean refugee organization in Seoul when anger among the Chinese was unleashed. The man, Tim, was wearing a shirt that vividly depicted the horrendous treatment of China towards the North Koreans as they flee their poverty-stricken country. As soon as students took notice of his shirt the rioting exploded and I found myself completely encircled by about 30+ police officers as the Chinese angrily shouted from all directions. Flags were waving. Cameras were rolling. Fists were beating the air. It was one of those surreal moments when I couldn't believe I was actually a part of the action. Adrenaline began pulsing through my body and all I could do was try to document every movement with my camera. The only other people inside of the circle were AP photographers and press members, along with the anti-Chinese activist. I wasn't the least bit scared to be there. In fact, it was such a rush that all I felt was pure excitement. In that moment I couldn't help but think it might be fun to be a photojournalist.


this vido was taken at the time tensions began to rise and the police completely surrounded the anti-chinese protesters. i was lucky enough to be shooting this clip from the inside!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The torch made a 4 1/2 hour journey through Seoul and ended up at City Hall this evening. Around the time the flame was due to arrive, I made my way to this area of the city and was once again greeted with thousands and thousands of people chanting, Chinese flags waving through the air, and students wearing pro-China T-shirts and face paint. It was truly an incredible sight. I met up with a couple of girl friends and somehow we were able to get a front row view when the torch was run into the stadium. It's such a strange feeling to know that the very torch that was just feet away from me this afternoon has been carried all around the world. During the last few months it has become one of the most controversial centerpieces of international politics. I am so anxious to see how the events in Beijing will unfold as the Olympics get closer. I am so lucky to have been a part of the excitement today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I want to end this blog by expressing my love for the people of China. Living there was one of the best experiences of my life thus far, and I have nothing but respect for the millions of hard-working citizens who are the backbone of the country. I have made friendships with students and teachers in Changsha that I hope will last forever. However, today I was once again angered by the undeniably cruel Chinese goverment that inflicts censorship, discrimination, forced birth control, and dozens of other atrocities against its own people. It's sad to see so many people blindly expressing patriotism to a nation so corrupt. It's time for the world to take a stand against the world's biggest regime and demand something more. The Olympics may not be the best platform for trying to create change, but there's no better time than now because the whole world is watching.

1 comment:

brent said...

Wow wow WOW. Lindsey, this is your best post ever! Wonderful pictures, a great clip, and some excellent writing. You should be a photojournalist for sure. Crazy post... let's hope things don't get too much more out of control.