Saturday, January 24, 2009

crowds, camels, and cows.

While in New Delhi we talked with several other tourists and learned that the easiest way to travel the western state of Rajasthan was by hiring a private driver. So after a little negotiating with a local travel agent we booked a 12-day, all-inclusive tour and our journey through India officially began.

Journal entries from Jaipur:

“Another day in India. I just finished a dinner of chicken curry and naan on a rooftop terrace over-looking Jaipur after an interesting day in the city. It is so hard to find the right words to describe this country. There is so much movement and chaos that I can hardly think straight. This morning we arrived in Rajasthan after a 5-hour ride through the polluted countryside. I feel really far away from home. This part of India is home to camels and cows and gypsies and rickshaws and men that look like ancient nomads. I expected Jaipur to be more relaxing that Delhi, but it also never seems to sleep. It has been a bit hard to feel at peace here because the city is a constant whirlwind of activity, but I know this experience is helping me to more deeply understand the world. I have never seen so much poverty. People here literally have nothing. Every time our car stops women and children crowd around us begging for a few rupees. People are dirty beyong anything I have ever seen before. How can I ever complain about going 2 days without a shower again when some children look like they haven’t bathed in their entire lifetime? It’s a strange feeling to be 25 years old, traveling the world, and witnessing poverty from the outside. I will never understand what it feels like to sleep on the street, to walk on dirt roads without shoes, or go even one day without food. Traveling India has already been much harder and less relaxing than I expected, but I love the things I am learning. If I want to truly make a difference in the world then I need to be out among the people, not watching life happen from the comfort of an air-conditioned car. I know that I always have the option of returning to the luxuries of America, so for now I want to find contentment in the chaos of India.”

Photobucket
i love indian saris. and i love people that smile.

Photobucket
indian women talking on the steps at the monkey temple in jaipur.

Photobucket
snake charmers and their cobra.

“The weather is perfect…blue sky, sunny, and cool. I love this moment. Today is so much better than the ones before and I can finally say that I am falling in love with India. Maybe it’s only natural for change to take time. The first few days were hard for all of us. The congested cities, the pollution, the poverty. But now I am sitting on a bench outside of the royal palace in Rajasthan on this beautiful day. The colors here are so vibrant. Yellow, hot pink, blue, orange, and purple-jeweled saris contrast against the pale walls of the palace. Elephants pass through arched entryways carrying tourists from all parts of the world. A beautiful Indian girl just peered over my shoulder and asked what I was writing. I love the boldness and curiosity of the people. Traveling always presents the most unexpected moments. I am thankful for this experience.”

Photobucket
the royal palace in jaipur.

Photobucket
the orange turban.

Next stop: Udaipur and Pushkar.

1 comment:

meagan summers photography said...

Lindsey - wow, I wish i was experiencing this with you..
p.s. the picture of the one indian woman is amazing!
I love you.