Saturday, January 24, 2009

udaipur and pushkar.

The next stops during our tour of Rajasthan were in the cities of Udaipur and Pushkar. Here we saw even more camels and cows, strolled through crowded bazaars, had our hands painted with henna, photographed temples and people, and enjoyed lazy evenings eating at western cafés.

Journal entry from Udaipur:

“It is a peaceful morning in Udaipur. I was woken up by the sound of birds chirping near the window while the Islamic call to prayer echoed in the distance. I love the stillness of a new day. The streets are near empty and a light fog hangs over the city. Now I am sitting on our hotel balcony enjoying a cup of chai tea and a few slices of bread. From where I sit I can women washing their colorful saris in the lake as cows lazily stroll along the water’s edge. We arrived here yesterday evening and already this place is my favorite in Rajasthan. The large window in our hotel overlooks the serene lake and an old maharaja palace sits in the distance. It’s possible to navigate this city on foot so last night we walked and walked through narrow streets lined with souvenir shops and restaurants. We ate pizza and curry at a trendy café over-looking the illuminated city. The view from above Udaipur was what I had in mind before coming to India. I feel like I have landed in a place that must have been paradise a few centuries ago.”

Photobucket
an early morning in udaipur.

Photobucket
another view of the lake.

Photobucket
fruit vendor weighing her produce.

Photobucket
camel ride in pushkar.

Next stop: Agra.

No comments: