Tuesday, January 27, 2009

singapore!

It took a 45-hour train ride, 2 nights in Bangalore, and an overnight flight to Southeast Asia to escape India, but we have arrived in Singapore!

The sky is blue. The sun is shinning. Flowers and trees line the sidewalks. Arriving in Singapore was such a shock after having spent the last 3 weeks in India. There are no beggars on the streets, no dirty cows, no urine-stained sidewalks, no women dressed in sarees, and no pollution hovering over the city. Everything here is so clean and beautiful. I spent most of the afternoon today walking along Orchard Street past professional looking people and high-end retail stores such as Versace, Gucci, and Chanel. It's hard to believe that such drastically different countries even exist on the same planet. I am thankful to have traveled through parts of India and never want to forget the things I have seen, but I'm so happy to now be in Singapore. I love hearing the many languages spoken as I pass people on the subway. I love feeling the light breeze that cools the air. I love the sunshine. It's hard to really wrap my mind around my location in the world now. A few years ago I never imagined that I would have traveled so much of Asia or become so content on this side of the world. I am thankful for where life has taken me.

A few photos from Singapore:
Photobucket
sleepy sam's hostel near arab street where we stayed for 3 nights.

Photobucket
the mosque just meters away from our hostel.

Photobucket
chinatown!

Photobucket
the famous raffles hotel where we splurged for a $20 cocktail.

Photobucket
downtown singapore at sunset.

Next stop: The Philippines.

1 comment:

★tsuya★ said...

good to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in my country :)